Video Script: Why does an HRV help solve high moisture problems & indoor air quality problems in the home?
Hi Folks, I'm Jason Edwards from Ardent Heating, Air Conditioning & Water Treatment Specialists, located in Barrie, Ontario.
Today I want to talk to you about why an HRV is important. An HRV is a Heat Recovery Ventilator. A Heat Recover Ventilator is very important to two reasons:
1. It exchanges the air inside the home.
2. It helps gets rid of excess moisture, if you have any moisture problems in the home, it's going to help with that.
Let's break it down and we'll talk about the first reason: air exchanging. When you exchange the air inside your house, what you are doing is taking the polluted air from inside your house and you're getting rid of it to the outdoors. At the same time, you are bringing fresh air into your home, and this makes for a very good environment when it comes to air quality. You may ask why do I have to do this, why is it important to have this done? Well, a lot of homes have been built very tightly. When they build homes these days, they use a vapor barrier. It's like putting a plastic bag around your house and the reason for it is to help maintain the efficiency levels of your home so the air you paid to have heated in winter, or cooled in the summer time, doesn't escape outdoors; so it maintains that efficiency level in your home. At the same time, however, it prevents a lot of contaminants in the air from getting outside. Colds, germs, viruses, bacteria, mold, formaldehydes from carpets and building materials...there is a whole slew of things that are in the air. In a lot of cases you can't see them. It's been proven that 1% of things in the air are what you can see, the other 99% are things you can't see. So it's very important to get rid of all that stuff and bring in fresh air from outside. An HRV is an energy efficient system. It has a core and the air you have heated in the winter heats up the core as it is expelled from the house. At the same time, the air outside is being brought in a couple of feet below through a vent. It is pulled through this core without ever touching the inside air, the air streams never touch, and it gets warmed up from this core as it enters your ventilation system. So this prevents you from losing the money you paid to have that air heated or cooled down by having the temperature exchanged with the fresh air coming in.
The second reason, and a big reason why people get an HRV as well, is because they have moisture problems. If you see a lot of moisture on your windows, if you can't even see out of them and you have your humidifier turned off, you need an HRV to get rid of that moisture. We've never had a time when an HRV hasn't worked to get rid of that moisture. It would never remove 100% of it, but it does remove the vast majority and gets it to a more reasonable level.
If you have moisture problems or you're feeling that you are getting sick a lot inside of your house, there's actually a term for very severe cases of this. It's a clinical term called SBS or Sick Building Syndrome. When you have this SBS or if you're just getting sick quite often, exchanging the air in a regular way is a good way to reduce this issue. If you're getting rid of all the pollutants and bacteria and germs in the air and freshening up the air at the same time it helps, and if you do get sick you generally don't get sick for as long. It should also be tied in to some indoor air quality system as well, but an HRV is a very good step in the right direction.
Call Ardent Heating, Air Conditioning & Water Treatment Specialists today if you have any questions regarding this topic(705) 721-HEAT (4328) or email us at [email protected]
or visit our website www.ardentcanada.com
One of our Comfort Advisors will be more than happy to talk to you!
Ardent Heating, Air Conditioning & Water Treatment Specialists
Proudly serving Barrie, Innisfil, Midhurst, Alcona Beach,Oro Township, Springwater
& Simcoe region for the past 10 years!